The Andorran Agency for Quality Assurance in Higher Education is a public law institution that aims to guarantee the quality of the higher education offered in Andorra. It is regulated by Law 9/2016, of 28 June, creating the Andorran Agency for Quality Assurance in Higher Education (AQUA)
The governing body of AQUA is the Steering Committee (see Structure), formed by representatives from Andorra’s General Council, the ministry responsible for higher education, vice-chancellors and students from the country’s universities, the private sector and an international expert on higher education quality.
The AQUA is an affiliate member of the European Association for Quality Assurance in Higher Education (ENQA). It is a member of the International Network for Quality Assurance Agencies in Higher Education (INQAAHE).
The AQUA’s mission is to monitor the quality of higher education in Andorra with the permanent demand for quality and rigour derived from social and employment needs.
The evaluation system is the tool for the on-going improvement of higher education, using the guidelines of the European Higher Education Area as a benchmark.
The AQUA aims to be a streamlined, approachable, creative agency that acts as a platform for transformation in coordination with the main institutions linked to higher education in Andorra.
- Independence, transparency, professionalism and responsibility.
- Collaboration, participation and teamwork.
- Innovation and adaptation to change.
- Social and environmental responsibility.
The functions of the AQUA are as follows:
- The evaluation, accreditation and certification of the quality of education leading to official qualifications and of the processes of higher education centres within the context of the European area of quality assurance.
- The evaluation, accreditation and certification of basic and applied research in universities.
- The definition of the guidelines, criteria and indicators for evaluating quality in the areas of higher education and research, in line with European and international standards.
- The preparation of studies for the improvement and innovation of evaluation, certification and accreditation models.
- The issuing of evaluation reports aimed at higher education centres, education administrations, social stakeholders and society as a whole.
- Advising education administrations, higher education centres and other institutions in the area of its functions.
- Setting up cooperation links and collaboration protocols.